Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Comments encouraged

I encourage people to comment at my blog -- especially those who disagree with me. I think that debate is fun, and can be educational. After all, I'm not always right, and if I'm open-minded enough to listen to dissenting opinions, I might learn something.

However, that doesn't mean that name-calling, slurs, and juvenile comments are acceptable. If you disagree with me or others that comment about something, don't focus on the other person; instead, state what it is about their comments that you disagree with! Just as importantly, state why you disagree with what they are saying. Do you have a logical reason, or evidence to back up what you are saying?

DON'T call the other party names, or say things like "That's what all Liberals think" or "You're not as smart as you think you are" or "All Republicans are jerks". Focusing on the other person instead of the debate is what's known as an ad hominem argument.

You might want to read this short article about logical fallacies in arguments, and this short article about logical arguments.

Lastly, it probably goes without saying that spam will be deleted immediately.Thanks for visiting. Click here to go back to the main page.

Thanks to Martian for allowing me to use the above text.

No comments: